Friday, July 17, 2015

Pearls of Childish Wisdom - Bed Time

Here are some of Jasmin's pearls in the last half year. This time the subject is "getting ready for bed" and other domestic tasks.

Getting ready for bed - Jasmin knows the rules. One evening she cam into my room just when I was changing into my night clothes. Jasmin immediately decided it was imperative to give me guidance, announcing that I need to take a bath before putting on my PJ's for the night. I was roundly scolded for not doing things in the right order!

Brushing teeth - Jasmin has been thought to brush her teeth in all directions to clean her entire mouth. If I am in the bathroom when she is brushing, she immediately insists that i join  her, claiming that I too need to brush. If I say I already have brushed, she does not accept this. She needs to see me do it. if I am not in the bathroom when she brushes and I ask her if she has brushed her teeth, I am likely to get a description of all the directions (top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right, front etc) she brushed as part of her confirmation to completing the task. If she just says "yes" to my question, its most likely that she is lying to me and did not in fact brush her teeth as she was asked to do.

Jasmin spends one evening every two weeks with my parents who come to babysit. One evening my mother reported that Jasmin made sure her doll was ready for bed - Jasmin gave the doll a bath, brushed her teeth, sat her to the potty and the put her to bed covering her with a blanket. When my mother told me this i immediately asked if she had filed Jasmin, to my chagrin she did not. When I told the story to my husband later that night, his first reaction was also to ask if this had been filmed. Modern parents of the digital age of smartphones...
On another occasion I found Jasmin washing the doll with real water in my parents' back yard - she told me the doll needed to be cleaned up.

When she is asked to tidy up her toys Jasmin declares that she cannot. She then explains that she is just a small girl and cannot do it alone. sometimes I help, sometime I insist she complete the task, sometimes I just do the tidying myself real quick...

Although she does not always want to follow the daily evening routines, there is no doubt that Jasmin knows ALL the rules.