Monday, June 9, 2014

Pattern Recognition

Jasmin knows her patterns. she also knows where each design belongs. As she recently demonstrated with  a very vigilant comment about my new glasses.

As a homage to my husband, and admittedly maybe as a bit of a joke, I has eye glasses made in a similar pattern to the ones my husband usually wears. My husband is a stickler about his glasses and his favorite pattern of frame is a 1980's RayBan look with a half frame in thick black on the top and thin gold at the bottom.

When I first met my husband, I used to hate the glasses.I thought they were old fashioned and ugly. I have gotten used to them on him by now. The glasses were always an issue between us because he had the frame he was wearing a good 20 years and could not find a replacement in the first few years of our acquaintance and marriage. In addition, he finally lost them one night (close to Jonathan;s birth) after a long night watching a football match... In recent years RayBan decided to bring the pattern back and finally my husband got to replace his long lost pair.

As this pattern returned to the shops, it was also made in different sizes and thus became also available to women. It soon became obvious to my husband and to me that we could finally find this pattern not only in his extra large head size (14" glasses) but also in my miniature head width. and so, I had a pair of glasses made in homage to my husbands taste. I do not wear them often because of two reasons:
1 - because of the thick top black frame, they hurt my ears.
2 - despite the small size, I still think they are too big for me
my husband thinks I look really cool with them, creative and stylish. I can tolerate them only when I have really big hair (to compensate for the narrow width of my head and the large size of the lenses).
The serve thus as my replacement pair of glasses when the main ones I have need to be repaired.

Yesterday, I had to give my regular glasses for repair. I put the alternative homage glasses on. Jasmin noticed the change immediately. She demanded to know what is going on by asking MA ZE? ("what is this" in Hebrew). I explained that mommy has new glasses. Jasmin answered immediately - NO, it's daddy's (LO, ZE ABBA in Hebrew) indicating that she is used to seeing such glasses on my husbands nose...

It is a pity one cannot demonstrate the tone of voice she used when making these tow short declarations, the music of Jasmin's speech is adorable in general and amazingly perceptive and imitating of her surroundings.
This time her tones indicated surprise and even protest. After all mommy should not be wearing daddy's glasses, everything has its place. Order must be kept (in German the saying goes ORDNUNG MUSS SEIN and its a staple of the German culture!).

I thought that her remark was an indicator if great wisdom...but we know she is really smart and worldly...