Sunday, November 25, 2012

Communicating her Will


At almost 6 months of age Jasmin is very able to communicate her will and her opinions on the situations she is. Like with my first son, I am once more amazed at the scope of elaboration a baby can achieve with body language and whining sounds.

If she is hungry, I can usually tell by the urgency of her cries. When I pick her up, she breathes with excitement and grabs onto my shirt, pushing her head towards my breast. There is really no clearer way to say “mommy, I want to breast feed please”.

I took Jasmin to get her shots at the age of 4 months. The routine in Israel dictates that at this age a baby receives two shots. After the first one, Jasmin croaked uncomfortably, clearly not enjoying the procedure, but after the second shot she moved onto crying protest. She was very displeased at being pricked a second time, especially after showing me that she sis not like it at all the first time…her protest was so obvious! I felt like a bad person cheating my baby out of her right to remain relaxed and unpicked…

At the age of four months it became apparent that Jasmin took an interest in what I eat. Staring at everything that went into my mouth while she was in the vicinity. So we started giving her solids. At the age of six months it is clear she can see what I am eating from a distance! While she was laying on the carpet in the lying room, I was eating a slice of bread with cottage cheese in the open kitchen. From a distance of about 5 meters, Jasmin called her protest! Clearly whining louder every time the slice approached my mouth. I stopped eating and went to get her food…she enjoyed some mashed vegetables and a bottle of milk as a result.

Although I cannot be sure if she just wanted to be picked up or if she realy was trying to indicate that her diaper was full. One afternoon Jasmin bobbed with her behind up and down and whined to gain attention. When I picked her up, I discovered the full diaper and started wondering if the particular movement to get my attention was intentional. Jasmin likes her diapers clean and protests in discomfort and crying if they are not changed.

There is no tricking Jasmin. Playing with the plastic box housing her wet wipes is only fun when we are changing a diaper and the game makes it harder for mommy to complete the task. Allowing Jasmin to play with same said box in her cot is simply of no interest, bordering on an insult! The box is only fun in the diaper changing corner… 

  
Ladies pretty in Pink, Mommy and Jasmin (Check out the family pointing finger...)

Summer Cuddle - July 2012 - Jasmin and Jonathan